Jul 26, 2021
Online identity verification: the online global verification identity process
Identity verification is the process that ensures a person is who they are supposed to be. But… How to guarantee safety when this process is done online?
Identity is the attribute of identical, the exact correspondence of one thing with another when compared. It is the set of unique traits and characteristics associated with a unique and irreplaceable individual. This turns essential when we talk about people and especially within the online environment, where identity theft is a more common phenomenon than we realise.
Identity verification is an essential requirement in most processes and procedures, both online and offline, and in all kinds of situations. From opening a bank account to completing tax procedures electronically.
In banking (and in many industries), the identity verification process is known as the KYC (Know Your Customer) process.
If you are interested in knowing how to make your onboarding and KYC process go from 3 weeks to 3 minutes, download this guide.
HOW TO VERIFY IDENTITY?
Identity verification ensures that there is a real person behind a process and proves that they are who they claim to be. This prevents anyone from carrying out a process on other people’s behalf without authorisation, creating false identities, or committing fraud.
There are several methods and systems of carrying out offline and online identity verification services. This means the identity verification process can be carried out in different ways depending on the channel and the way the method is used.
For the traditional face-to-face process, an individual must present him or herself personally and physically at the company’s location (store, branch, commercial office, etc), institution (tax agency, employment service…), or organisation.
Once there, they need to hand over their identity document to a worker or agent (passport, drivers’ license, or equivalent) for them to verify (in most cases visually) that the ID picture matches the person who is handling the document.
If according to the agent both match with each other, the identity verification is successful.
To complete the process, the agent may make a copy of the ID, make the individual fill a document, and make all the control procedures the agent or the company deem necessary to verify their identity.
If the verification process is completed successfully, the identified user is finally ready to carry on with their arrangements.
Online, the process had to be adapted since there were some digital challenges the online identity verification solutions had to overcome.
Opposite to offline, in the online world, there are no physical places to go to. Neither some agents can physically verify users’, ID in hand, to check its soundness.
Thankfully, nowadays most online identity verification solutions can safely and accurately carry out online global verification identity checks for users and companies all around the world, with even greater legitimacy than the traditional process.
WHAT IS AN ONLINE IDENTITY VERIFICATION AND HOW IT IS DONE?
Over the years, different types of online identity verification APIs have been developed.
However, it is important to understand that not all online identity verification services and solutions comply with the standards and qualifications needed by law for most procedures (especially financial sector operations) to guarantee their legitimacy, safety, and trust.
One of the methods that do not comply with the appropriate security standards to verify people’s identity remotely is the use of images and selfies. This is a process that is usually used to identify individuals for low-risk operations, as it is unreliable and uncertain.
In fact, ETSI has standardised identity proof by recognising video identification as the only legitimate online global verification identity process.
In online banking and all financial companies, the online customer identification process (or eKYC) must comply with strict regulations to ensure their legitimacy and guarantee your company’s and your customers’ anti-fraud safety.
The eKYC process works by verifying people’s identities online. This means doing it remotely and digitally. Therefore, it is in the eKYC process where guaranteeing a secure and effective customers’ identity proof takes the greater role.
The only online identity verification process that complies with all legal regulations required in the eKYC process is the streaming video identity verification process, such as VideoID.
VideoID is the most advanced online identity verification service. It uses a solution powered by artificial intelligence and machine learning, that shields the eKYC process ensuring the reliability of 100%, which responds to the needs and legal guarantees imposed by the remote identity verification regulators.
Thanks to VideoID’s technology, companies can carry out their eKYC processes automatically, in seconds. Furthermore, the customers can benefit from a simple a smooth process resulting in an improved UX.
They only need an electronic device with a camera and an internet connection. The process works as follows:
How does the online identity verification process work?
- The customer visits the company, organisation, or institution’s website, app, or platform.
- The customer agrees on the use of his or her device camera and microphone to verify their identity.
- He or she is asked to show the ID document on both sides. VideoID technology automatically analyses its authenticity and parity with the user.
- Later, the user shows his face and smiles at the camera.
- If necessary, a team of qualified agents validates the video in a process apart.
- The user’s identity has been verified and the user’s credentials serve as proof that the user is who they say they are. Among these credentials are the user’s face biometric analysis in the video taken with their ID, their ID information, and their email address and phone number.
- The user is now registered and can start using the company’s products and services.
Request a free demo now and learn first-hand about the identity verification process.
Electronic signature and face authentication methods are also online identity verification services and are used in a wide range of processes and operations. Both are based on streaming video identification, the most secure and reliable technique for digitally verifying an identity.
THE LEGAL STANDARDS FOR THE ONLINE IDENTITY VERIFICATION SERVICES
AML5 (or 5AMLD, Fifth Anti-Money Laundering Directive) and eIDAS (electronic IDentification, Authentication, and trust Services) are the regulations that set the standards for the uses of online identity verification.
AML5 responds to the need to fight fraud and identity forgery, money laundering, and terrorist financing. eIDAS regulates everything related to electronic signatures, trust services, and electronic transactions.
These European regulations are strict and comprehensive, providing identity verification processes that comply with them, guaranteed security and reliability support.
They are the baseline for the international regulatory framework for remote online identity verification services worldwide.
Download here the complete guide to these regulations and discover the benefits they bring to the identification processes.
WHEN AND WHERE IS ONLINE IDENTITY VERIFICATION MANDATORY?
The online identity verification process is mandatory to ensure users’ identities, and provide the highest security and legal support in the following processes:
- Banking and finance: Bank account opening, banking, and financial procedures of any kind or online sales and purchases.
- Telecommunications and insurance industries: Procurement of products and services as well as making online operations.
- Apps and online platforms: Log-in process at a web or app, second-factor authentication, access to facilities and buildings, hotel check-in, customer registrations, etc.
- Government and public administration: To renew or issue electronic certificates, to renew identity documents, in identification processes to create credentials in electronic government sites, and medical apps for electronic prescriptions, among other things.
eID, ONLINE IDENTITY VERIFICATION API SERVICES PARTNER
Electronic Identification (eID) offers comprehensive identity verification services for customers, users, and citizens through its three main solutions:
- VideoID: Unique real-time video identification solution based on artificial intelligence and machine learning. AML5 and eIDAS compliant and legally equivalent to face-to-face identification.
- SmileID: Facial biometrics service for high-security authentication.
- SignatureID: Comprehensive solutions of simple, advanced, and qualified electronic signatures for all types of documents, contracts, and any digital needs that require users’ acceptance.
If you are interested in getting more information about digital identity solutions, download this guide to know all the details.